Search This Blog

Friday, June 24, 2011

Suits: Another Bromance? Really?

Episode 1: Suits (Pilot).

So despite getting pretty much panned by the New York Times, when I noticed that it was 10:10pm, and I was about to start cooking last night, I thought, why not watch Suits. I missed the first 10 minutes and was a little confused about the drug plotline (which I continue to be confused by eventhough I have now seen the beginning), but either way, I decided to keep watching. To be perfectly honest, I don't think it's worth writing a recap of this show. The gimmick for those who haven't seen it, is that Mike Ross (played by Patrick J. Adams) has the ability to remember what he's read and if he understands it, he never forgets it. This has allowed him to take and pass the bar exam on a bet, even though he's never been to law school. A word to those not in the know, the bar exam has nothing to do with being a lawyer! Anyway, he winds up at an interview with Harvey Specter (Gabriel Macht), who is impressed by Mike and offers him a job on the spot, but now has to lie to everyone because Mike didn't go to Harvard (the only law school that this firm hires from - huh!?!?), but he didn't go to any law school. Lots of random things happen in this episode, but in the end, by using their two skill sets, Mike and Harvey manage to win their pro bono case. Here are some issues that I had with the show. While I applaud USA for their (usually) excellent summer fare, I am beginning to get a little tired for the "bromance"-centric nature of these shows. I think the original series to really do this was House. The relationship between House and Wilson was clearly the reuslt of knowing each other for a very long time. By the end of the first episode of Suits, Mike and Harvey are best buds. Presumably, this episode happened over the course of a week or so. A little bit of a rush, no? Was it love at first sight for these two? With the glut of these type of relationships out there (White Collar, Psych, Franklin & Bash), this one felt a little forced. Second, the "B" plot, with Mike as a pot-head who was being chased by the cops because his best friend set him up, or something like that, seemed completely unnecessary. I liked the relationship between Mike and Rachel, the paralegal, but not enough to save the show. The other lawyer characters felt a little off too. Jessica Pearson, the managing partner, and Louis Litt, Harvey's rival, were both sketched pretty thinly. Also, drug testing in a law firm - this seemed to only be brought up to further the B plot. If you liked it, enjoy, but this show will not be On My DVR this summer. SB out.

No comments:

Post a Comment