Happy New Year to our Jewish Friends. May 5772 be a great year for everyone! Ok, the news!
1. Season/Series Premieres. Two dregs hit the airwaves tonight. First, CBS offers up the new comedy How to Be a Gentlemen starring Kids In the Hall alum, Dave Foley, and that other Dillon Brother (Kevin, not Matt. You know, the one from Entourage. Blech!). Expect the ratings to start high, it is following Big Bang Theory after all. ABC begins the fifth season of Private Practice. Addison should just move back to Seattle, for reals.
2. Casting news! Just in time for November sweeps, NCIS will (finally) introduce the ex-wife that Gibbs has in common with frenemy Agent Fornell, the red-headed Diane (to be played by Melinda McGraw, previously seen sleeping with Don Draper in Mad Men). Modern Family has signed up Jennifer Tilly (Bride of Chucky -- isnt' there something to be proud of?) to play the girlfriend of returning guest star, Chazz Palminteri, established in Season as a friend of Jay's. Debra Monk is set to return to Seattle Grace for one episode this November, reprising her role as George O'Malley's mother in the ABC hit, Grey's Anatomy. I remember breaking hearts during the "death of Geroge's father" storyline.
3. New Girl has been picked up for a full season; not a shocker. The season 1 episode total will be 24. Congrats to this great freshman comedy!
4. Dane Cook is developing a sitcom for NBC. Why does NBC hate us?
5. A federal appeals court has upheld Survivor Season 1 winner, Richard Hatch's nine-month prison sentence for violating the terms of his release (namely, settling his tax bill). I hope the court issued the opinion by snuffing out his tiki torch.